Thursday, July 2, 2009

Thing #16 Wikis

Wikis are a neat way to allow people to share what they know about a topic. I enjoyed looking at the different wikis, but my favorite was the Bull Run Library Wiki. I like the way they used it to announce what is going on in the library. It was in an easy to read format and I am sure that patrons check back to it on a regular basis to see what is happening.
I also like using Wikipedia for some things. It is a quick easy way to get a question answered. however, I had a hard time convincing my elementary students that it may not be a reliable source. Every time they search a topic, it shows up so they think that is what they should use. It was tough to make them understand that anyone can change, add or delete material on Wikipedia. We spent a lot of time discussing reliable sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment